The Wrexham Sites & Monuments Record
1.1 Halghton lies on the south side of the A525 from Wrexham to Whitchurch, about 1km to the south-east of the former.
1.2 There is no obvious settlement focus to Halghton, but instead a number of buildings incorporating the name which are spread over several square kilometres: Halghton Mill, Halghton Hall, Halghton Lodge, Halghton Lane Farm, Halghton New Mill and Halghton Bridge. The landscape here is relatively flat but intersected by shallow yet pronounced valleys.
2.1 The name first appears in its present form in 1335 and signifies 'a farm in a corner of land'. It was one of the townships in Hanmer parish.
2.2 This was clearly a well used landscape in the Middle Ages. At least four moated enclosures are known, a fulling mill was recorded in 1425 and considerable tracts of ridge and furrow survive. As noted above, however, there is no obvious nucleation.
3 Buildings and Archaeology
3.1 Halghton Hall (PRN 100195), a brick edifice with stone dressings, was built in 1662. It has a Grade I listing.
4.1 Halghton has one of the densest concentrations of moats in Clwyd. Halghton Lodge moat (PRN 100204) is a well-preserved ditched enclosure with an external bank, which is protected by statutory legislation (SAM Flint 174). It is overlain by ridge and furrow. Less than one kilometre to the south, a waterfilled moat encompasses Halghton Hall on three sides (PRN 100196). Eighteen hundred metres to the south-east at the end of Halghton Lane, a moat has been postulated around Peartree House (PRN 105354), and another fine example known as Chapel Garth (PRN 100185; SAM Flint 175) lies a little further to the east.
4.2 Tracts of ridge and furrow are abundant in the vicinity of all of the moats mentioned in para 4.1 (eg PRNs 105288, 105289, 105290). That less ridge and furrow has been recorded away from the moats may be a function of the tendency of aerial photography to concentrate on the moats and their surrounds.